Welcome to MAKEsafe, the newest place to make sure your DIY habits leave you whole!
Our first product brings industrial-level safety to home shop tools. Does your disc sander, bench grinder, bandsaw, or lathe keep moving after you turn it off? This coasting phase can last as long as three minutes for home shop tools and leaves you in a sketchy situation. Do you wait patiently for your tool has come to complete stop (yeah right!). Chances are you either reach for your part with the tool still coasting, putting your fingers dangerously close to the action, or you jam a piece of waste stock into the sanding disc or blade to slow it down. Either way – this is dangerous territory. Most shop accidents occur on machines that the operator is very comfortable and experienced with. Instead, what if you could just press a button to make your tool stop in seconds?
Electronic Tool Brake
With the MAKEsafe Electronic Tool Brake you can bring your tool to a stop almost instantly. While the device can stop your device instantly, it’s usually best to allow a few seconds of deceleration to minimize shock loading on rotating equipment.
Real User Data:
- Harbor Freight 1.25hp Disc Sander – Before: 1m16s, After: 0m04s.
- Delta 1/4hp Bench Grinder – Before: 1m55s, After: 0m03s.
We need beta testers!
Offer to give feedback on device performance and you can get this device for 50% off! Supplies limited. Email: MakeSafePowerToolBrake@gmail.com for more information.
But Wait, there’s more! It’s also a Safe Start device.
This device also works to prevent accidental startup in the event of power failure or tool relocation and can be used to satisfy the following safety standards:
- OSHA Electrical Controls for Wood Working Machinery:“On applications where injury to the operator might result if motors were to restart after a power failure, provisions shall be made to prevent machines from automatically restarting upon restoration of power.”
- NFPA 79 – Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery: “7.5.3 Restarting. Upon restoration of the voltage or upon switching on the incoming supply, automatic or unintentional restarting of the machine shall be prevented when such a restart causes a hazardous condition.”
- NEC 2014: “430.43 Automatic Restarting. . . . A motor overload device that can restart a motor automatically after overload tripping shall not be installed if automatic restarting of the motor can result in injury to persons.”
Works With …
The MAKEsafe Electronic Tool Brake works with any power tool that uses an AC induction motor. 95% of all stationary power tools use an AC induction motor. Some considerations when checking if you have an AC induction motor:
- This product works with capacitor start, capacitor start capacitor run, and split winding AC induction motors.
- If the motor has brushes, it is a universal motor and not an induction motor.
- In-Line Unit w/ Remote Activation. A plug n’ play solution! Simply plug your tool into this device and the device into the wall. That’s it!
- [coming soon] DIY Kit – Includes all of the parts you’ll need to assemble and install the MAKEsafe Electronic Tool Brake. Includes complete instructions but requires basic knowledge of AC wiring and a reasonable level or organization.
- [coming soon] Assembled for Hard-Wiring – Requires Minimal Wiring: Includes complete instructions but requires basic knowledge of AC wiring.
- The device alerts you to its status with two LED lights.
- This product was invented, developed, and built in Redwood City, CA by a licensed Electrical Engineer.
Cautions & Disclaimers
- Improper AC wiring can damage your tool, start a fire, or electrocute you. Proceed at your own risk.
- While this device has been tested with many pieces of equipment, I cannot guarantee that it will work with yours. If in doubt, please email me.
- This is a universal device that must be calibrated to deliver the appropriate braking force for your specific equipment. Miscalibration can lead to unsafe conditions, including: physical harm to the operator, your equipment being destroyed, and/or this device being destroyed. All products include instructions for proper calibration of the device.